Digital Self: creative applications through an online CV
"The traditional CV has increasingly come to the end of its usefulness", says Tony Conrad, CEO and co-founder of about.me, a website that allows people to create one-page CVs. Self Branding, for example using an own website that reflects all the qualifications and experience of a candidate, is indeed a big topic for candidates. But videos also have a lot of advantages over the traditional application folder. We show you options and tools to score points with online CVs. Go Social!
Job search 2.0: examples of creative online CVs
Many examples show that online CVs can lead to professional success. A good story that is prepared in a multimedia style or the assistance of an online V distributed through multipliers. The list of possibilities with online CVs is long.
1. Social media platforms such as Pinterest or your Facebook timeline can also be used for an application. The HR manager will in any case be googling you in the course of the application process - so why not make it a positive surprise?
Facebook in particular is always used as more than a job network. Paolo Bruno shows how to use your Facebook profile for the job search.
2. Video instead of the written word: packaging your own ideas and skills in a covering letter is a challenge. In a video our own motivation for a role can be communicated better and your contact has the feeling that they already know you. Upload your video onto YouTube or Vimeo, or put together a mini clip for Instagram.
3. Infographics: You do not have to be a graphic designer to put together a visually attractive CV; there are tools to help with this. For example kinzaa.com of infogr.am provide a simply way of creating visually impressive infographics.
4. Own website: You can also take the route of creating your own website about yourself. With platforms such as about.me or resume.up you simply choose a layout, upload photos and save your data.
Pros and cons of online CVs
- + job offers that are not publicly advertised
- + no discretion when changing jobs
- + high potential to go viral and recommendations
- - time investment
- - many inappropriate offers
- - online CVs are currently not (yet) a substitute for the traditional CV
One thing is clear: Online CVs set not limits on creativity, because unlike for traditional CVs there are no defined rules. Certainly you most important information and career stages should also be listed in an online CV. But you can give your imagination free reign in terms of design.