The photo in your application: an eye catcher
Not only the content of your application has to be right. Take advantage of the opportunity to evoke… and underline the positive impression of your documents. Because for an HR manager in addition to your professional competence, your personal impression is also important. Inform yourself about ways to create an appropriate photo.
The right placement
Make your photo stand out and insert it directly into the CV; ideally on the first page in the right or left top corner. The cover letter is also a good place to present yourself.
- For postal applications you should never leave your photo loose with the application, nor attach it with a paperclip. Consider that an application is usually opened by the secretarial department, and avoid the risk that your photo disappears or is allocated to a different application.
- For online applications, you can also attach the photo as a file in the annex, but make sure that the photo is labelled with your name.
Requirements for a professional application photo
- Current: The application photo must be current, people do want to know what you currently look like and not 15 years ago.
- Groomed appearance: Low-key make-up for women and clean-shaven for men is advisable. A natural smile also comes across well.
- Neat clothes: Dress the same way you would to attend an interview. Select a fashionable low-key outfit that suits your character and the advertised role. Not every outfit will be appropriate for every company.
- Format: The photo size should be at least c. 5x4cm. A portrait photo is ideal; a full-length shot or a very large photo can easily appear arrogant or boastful.
- Quality: The photo should be high quality. Please avoid webcam snapshots with a backdrop of garish 70s wallpaper. And never attach a wedding, holiday or leisure photo to the application!
And remember: The first impression counts! The viewer will look at your photo first, before reading your application. A photo that fulfils all these requirements is best taken by a professional photographer.